Friday, January 16, 2015

Life after Hyperemesis Gravidarum

Not many people know this, but about a week after I had Benjamin I became severely dehydrated and Tyler rushed me to the ER in the middle of the night for IV fluids. I wasn't still throwing up. The problem was that for the last few months every time I drank water I would vomit. And not just throw up once and be done. I would puke violently multiple times after attempting to drink water, well after it left my system. The closer I got to my due date the worse it got. It was like my first trimester all over again.

Directly after having Benjamin I had zofran in my system because they gave it to my through my IV to keep me from throwing up during delivery and after I had him I could feel the constant nausea lift. I ate a TON during our hospital stay. Burgers, Cafe Rio, and one pound of Cadbury Mini Eggs quickly caught me up on all the weight I lost. I was STARVING.

But I was a little afraid of water. I could drink it, and when I did it was great, but I would still get a little sick just thinking about it coming up so many times.

I was so thirsty during my pregnancy. I would desperately suck on ice chips and pray that it stayed down. I can still hear the home health care nurse challenging me to drink one tablespoon of water every half hour. Just one. Have you ever puked so hard it came out your nose? Having water shoot out your nose every hour is not fun. I eventually got to a point where when I got thirsty all I could think about was a big bag of IV fluids.

I guess with having a one year old, a new born, being sleep deprived, learning to nurse and keep up with everything, I neglected to take a sip of water. I was pretty mad that I needed an IV even after I delivered.
 


But once I started to drink and eat more, I had more energy than I had in a LONG time. I remember my aunt stopped by about a month after I had Benjamin to see if I needed help and she was surprised to see me in an apron and baking cookies and doing crafts with my toddler. Things that I had wanted to do for so long but was too sick to do it.

But I still had struggles that a lot of women don't usually get after pregnancy. Pieces of my teeth are breaking off. A fellow HG mom I know completely lost a tooth when she bit into a piece of toast shortly after having her baby. It is normal to lose clumps of hair about four months after delivery. My hair fell out DURING my pregnancy AND after delivery. Hello, big bald spot. I had to cut my bangs to hide it.


We are constantly watching for signs of organ failure. I was on TPN for a while and for about two months I did not eat or drink one single thing. I relied on the TPN for all of my nutrition and fluids before my body rejected my PICC line and with the way I reacted to the TPN my doctor told us to just be cautious and watch for signs of organ failure. 

It has been two years since I have come in contact with fruit snacks and saltine crackers. I cannot smell them without gagging. My two year old has never had them and I probably wont give them to him for a long time. Wendy's Frosty and Panda Express are also on my list of things to never eat again.

And now every time I start to feel nauseated I start to panic. Right after Christmas I had the flu and threw up. Tyler asked if I was pregnant (I have an IUD this time) but I knew I wasn't because I felt better after I puked. When I'm pregnant it doesn't feel better. 

But I am so excited for 2015. I won't be sick and I won't have an tiny baby. I will soon have two toddlers. I am so excited to take my boys swimming, and to the park! I'm so excited to teach them soccer and get flip flop tan lines and RUN! I am so thankful to be HEALTHY, both mentally and physically. And as hard as it was, I am truly thankful that my boys are so close in age. The bigger Benjamin gets, the better they seem to be getting along. I think (and hope) they will be dear friends. I am glad they will have each other.
I'm glad they will have me. 



I am excited for the adventures that await us!







No comments:

Post a Comment