Thursday, April 23, 2015

DIY Laundry Detergent

Hey guys,  Megan here.  This week I am sharing my recipe for DIY laundry detergent.

 I made my first batch about 6 months ago and it lasted till about a week ago.  So this is by far way cheaper than store bought laundry detergent.  I was hesitant about washing my boys clothes with it in fear of a reaction.  To ease my mind I washed two outfits in the new detergent and watched for a reaction and they had nothing.  So I went to regular washing and it has done fabulously!

One box of Super Washing Soda. $3.24
1 box of Borax. $3.38
1 4lb box of Pure Baking Soda. $2.12
2 bars of Zote. .99 x 2
1 container of Oxy Clean. 3.86
1 container of Purex Crystals. 4.72
 

I got everything at smiths and I gradually buy them.  I will buy something if I have a coupon or if I have a couple extra dollars in my grocery budget for the week. I will tell you that Oxy clean and Purex crystals have coupons regularly but the Borax and arm and hammer coupons are hard to come by.  I didn't find any for the 9 months I was looking. I spent 19.30 not including tax.  Now if this last 6 months with about 1-2 loads of laundry a day this is by far a way better value.

The first thing you do is grate the Zote bars with a cheese grater.


Then just add everything together and mix.  I pour whatever I can back in the Oxy clean and Purex containers and put the rest in three zip lock bags.  I use 2 tablespoons per load.  However, I figured out that the colored lid on the Purex is about 2 tablespoons so I just use that for each load.


Here is the recipe.  Remember to LIKE us on Facebook and Instagram!

The recipe:
One box of Super Washing Soda.
1 box of Borax. 
1 4lb box of Pure Baking Soda.
2 bars of Zote.
1 container of Oxy Clean.
1 container of Purex Crystals.

Grate the Zote bar with a cheese grater.  Mix all the ingredients and store in container of your choice.  Use 1-2 tablespoons per load.



Update on chalkboard:  Next month is my sons birthday so I will be updating again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment