Thursday, April 2, 2015

Chalkboard

Hello again!  Megan here.  I am going to do a tutorial on my new chalkboard!  I have been searching for something large to go over my dinning room table for a long time.  When I finally settled on a chalkboard I went hunting...


Now this chalk board is a substitution for an amazing one I saw at an expo.  


 
However, since my decorating is at the bottom of the totam pole for budget.  I decided to make my own.  Remember that basic cheap wood I used to make my arrows a couple weeks ago?  Well, it has been resurrected once again.  


As I said before I am using this for over my dinning room table so I made mine fairly big. It ended up being 4'x 3'. Instead of my usual espresso stain I decided to replicate a grey frame that I already have my living room.  The stain is classic grey by Minwax.  I didn't love the look of the grey so after I stained it I decided that it needed to be lightened up a bit.  So I dry brushed it with white paint and sanded down the spots that had a little to much paint.  
 
This picture shows the dry brush.  The first board is with paint the others are just stain.
 

This picture shows how sanding can light up the brush strokes.  The back two boards are sanded and front two are not.
 

 I wanted it to be magnetic so I used a piece of sheet metal as the backing. For the chalkboard part I used rustollium spray paint chalkboard. I was hesitant to use spray paint but after some research I learned it was the best because you don't get brush or roller marks. I had my hubby and Ty cut the metal to size.  I then sprayed it with two even coats of the spray paint.   


I attached the boards with wood glue and an "L" brackets.  I attached the metal with just basic screws.  Make sure to check the depth of the screw so you don't go through to the other side.
 
 
Now, because I used just a sheet of metal I had very sharp edges.  I did not want them to firstly scratch my walls and secondly cut me. 

 
So my solution... DUCKTAPE!!!  I know super ugly looking but its the back and no one will see it.  Well, except for you.

 
To hang it from the wall I used a Mirror Holder Kit.  This kit is made to hold up to 100 lbs so it is a little excessive.  I think I ended up paying $6 for the kit.


 
And there you have it!  I am going to be changing it at least every month or special occasion.  So in celebration of Easter this weekend I did Easter!  I will try to add a little update at the bottom of my posts of when I change it and post a picture. 









No comments:

Post a Comment