Thursday, February 26, 2015

Diabetes update

Diabetes wow I'm still getting used to saying that. But over the last week it has become almost natural. Melodee is handling it so well, a heck of a lot better then her parents are for sure.
I think it is all starting to sink in for her she asks me every morning if she still has diabetes and every morning I say yes and remind her that the shots she gets every day are keeping her from getting sick like she was. It is a lot for a 4 year old to take it, it's a lot for an adult to take in.

She is looking so good and getting into everything and making me crazy just like a 4 year old should. Looking back I have seen signs that things were changing in her. I remember hearing all my friends say that their kids constantly ask why questions and they are always getting into things and being curious. I remember wondering why she didn't do that. Her doctor said this could have been coming on over the last 6 months to a year so in a way her body was so tired that she couldn't really act her age or develop into her age in a way. Now that she is feeling better her body is catching up with her mind. She can focus and she is curious and asking all kinds of questions. I love it.

We didn't realize how much she had changed until she started doing everything she used to. My husband came out of her room the other night and said he couldn't remember the last time he got a bear hug and she had just given him one.
The hard thing with all this is there were signs but even if they had tested for anything it wouldn't have shown up. Thats the hard thing with diabetes is you don't know it's there until it is literally on top of you.
I still have a hard time....I hate that my 4 year old has to be used to shots....I hate that the thing keeping her alive are the shots...... I hate worrying about lows (which we have been dealing with) and highs and everything that can affect her blood sugar (seriously there needs to be an encyclopedia on just that topic)......I hate that my baby has to go through this I really just hate it all.

But..... I am also grateful that the shots are keeping her alive and that she is home with us....I am grateful that she is resilient enough to get used to the shots....I am grateful that we have doctors that can train us in what we need to know to keep her healthy.....I am grateful that even though diabetes sucks my baby can still live a full and normal life.

She impresses me like you wouldn't believe. In the middle of all this she told me she wanted some money so she could buy toys for the hospital she was at (primary children's medical center) so other kids can play with them like she did. How do you say no to that? She was going though so much and all she thought was how other kids like her might like toys when they are at the hospital. My husband and I don't have much money especially with doctor bills piling up now but we hated to say no.
I decided to open a boutique on facebook to sell things that we make. A portion of each item sold will be donated to the hospital to help other families like us (and maybe buy a toy or 2)
Our big thing at our house is being BRAVE. It takes a lot for a little 4 year old to get used to multiple shots a day so we need to be brave. She helped me design shirts and I am working on medical alert bracelets. Diabetes will not get us down. It will not win. I am bound and determined to make this as positive as I can for her.
You can check out our shop Sweet to Sassy Boutique HERE if you are interested in what we do.
These are some of the shirts we do. The horse is on the back of each one it makes me think of being strong. She loves sparkles so they are both glitter but they can all be custom made to say what ever you want.glitter or not. I wear my brave shirt a lot. I'm not always as brave as I need to be so it's a good reminder. She is such a good example and I'm trying my best to follow her lead. I am one lucky mom!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment