Wednesday, February 11, 2015

She is really great at Bowling

When I was about 13-14 years old I was in an activity or a lesson in Young Womans about gossiping. They told us if a conversation goes negative to change it into something positive. You should always be able to find a positive quality about someone, but in the even that you can't think of anything just say they are great bowlers. Chances are high no one will know if its true or not.

And so, in the 13 or so years that have passed I have continued to use that. Everyone is a great bowler in my book! And you know what, it works! It brings the conversation to a halt just enough for it to change. Generally I get asked when I bowled with them. Sometimes I make up a great story about how we were at a work function and they got 5 strikes in a row. But, usually I just explain that I'm just changing the conversation to something positive. For the most part, they go with it and the convo ends. I have used this so much in the past 13 years all I need to do is mention bowling and my friends know what I am doing and it just stops. Now that is power for good.

And so if you are ever in a predicament of joining in on the gossip or stopping it. Stop it. Turn it positive. It works. Every time.

1 comment: