Saturday, February 28, 2015

Tall Girl Problems

 

   I'm 6'2, I have been 6'2 since I was a freshman in high school that is when I was 14 years old. I was 5'5 in 5th grade, 5'9 in 6th grade, 5'11 in 7th and 6'0 in 8th grade then of course my final height 6'2. If you want to get technical I'm 6'1 and 3/4 ths so anytime wearing shoes I'm 6'2 or higher with heels of course.:) This is me and I have of course grown to accept and like my height. Not much to do to change it. Though I joked a ton I would cut off some of my leg and give it to my shorter friends. Now The average height of a woman in the U.S is 5'4 so I'm almost a whole foot taller than the average woman. There are pros and cons to being tall. This week I will focus on the cons then next time the Pros.
 As you can see my height in most of these pictures the first two from high school.:)


Clothing cons - shoes, pants, tops, bathing suits. You name it in the clothes department.  it's hard to find the right size. With shoes I'm an 11 wide, women's shoes typically stop at size 10. So how am I going to find 11s plus the tricker wide aspect? Well if I was lucky I could find 11 but no 11 w. What ended up happening is I would have to wear boys shoes. Or spend a fortune on a pair of shoes online, but when I was growing up online wasn't too much of an option yet. Now pants well you can get the picture there ,if average height is 5'4 and I'm 6'2 pant lengths weren't in my favor. Tall sizes are very hard to find in pants so another challenge.

Car con- fitting long legs and tall head in cars. Even in my van, the McDonalds drive through person said "I was too tall for it and needed to get a truck." I don't know if a truck would solve it, but it's a nice thought. In most every car my husband and I drive we have to put the seat all of the way back, this affects car seats, other people in the car. I bet a short person wouldn't even have to think about this. Not to mention bumping our heads which brings me to next con. 

Watch your head con- so as I mentioned getting in and out of cars you bump your head, but the list doesn't end there. When you are at homes you need to watch out for cabinets, light fixtures, decorations, door frames ( for my taller friends) even in some houses ceilings are an issue,  branches, trees.  If I had a dime for every time I bumped my head on something I would be rich!:) 

Stalls and mirrors con- whether it is in bathrooms or dressing rooms stalls are too short! No I'm not a peeping Tom I'm just tall and don't mean to have the ability to easily see over stalls.  Not to mention when I'm in a dressing room I mostly sit to change or everyone will see! Mirrors are never at my level I'm constantly bending down to see myself in the mirror.
They most of the time cut off my head or from my eyes up.

Fitting in con-This one is a little more personable to me directly, but I have always felt like I didn't develop certain friendships because of my height. I try to be nice to everyone and its not that I dont have friends. I just wonder if because I was tall I never fit in because I couldn't wear the trendy clothes or maybe people were embarrassed standing around me because of my height. Even my sisters who are also tall have noticed this. I'm not sure why? I obviously have grown to accept me, because frankly I do like who I am, I just always kinda had that thought in  the back of my mind. That also goes hand in hand with growing up and dating. Tons of guys would say to me "oh emily you're so wonderful too bad you're not shorter or I would date you".  It was hard growing up hearing that. That of course wouldn't happen to a boy either only a girl.  I'm happily married now to a man I love and have two beautiful sons. I wouldn't change a thing! I just wonder as far as friendships go that has been a factor and still is in some degree.

  With all of these cons it's just a part of life and second nature to me. I honestly most of my life haven't  realize I'm tall until I see pictures. Of course I know I'm tall,  but since I'm just use to the world I live in ( me being tall and the rest of world being short) it's normal to me. 

  Next time you sit in a car without  bumping your head, easily find a pair of pants  that are the right length, see your self nicely in a mirror without bending down, walk under a branch with not getting attacked, or a light fixture over a table. Think of us tall girls and have some empathy:).

1 comment:

  1. I want to find a girl/woman like you so bad. I'm 5'11. 26 years of age. In your opinion, am I too short to be with a gorgeous woman like you??

    ReplyDelete