Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Hidden Homemaker

  When you're growing up you obviously have no idea what the future holds. where your life is going to take you and honestly when you are young you don't think about it at least I didn't. I might of had a basic plan. You dream of the man you are going to marry,and have your list of what you want out of life, kids, graduate from college,house and  career. Then marriage, house,kids happen and you are once again trying to plan how to do it all.

  I always wanted the chance to be a stay at home mom with my kids,but I honestly didn't fully comprehend what that meant. I grew up in Southern California and both my parents worked when I was school age. So I was taught how to make meals, I was taught to do chores, I even was taught to sew, sing, play piano. I helped my mom can our jelly every season. These were just to name a few.  As a kid you hate these tasks some are more enjoyable than the others, but how grateful I am that these skills were taught to me. My mother worked and she was tired when she came home working a full day. She didn't need to teach me these things, but she did.

  I'm kinda tomboyish, I grew up being friends with mostly boys, I loved sports, I was tall so for some reason I felt the girl crowd never really accepted me into "their" culture. Might of been I couldn't find girl shoes that fit me and long pants were hard to find. Or my easy going attitude and hated drama. So as a stay at home mom now  I find myself enjoying to do projects, or decorating my home, keeping things organized, baking cookies or I  get pride when I have cooked a  good dinner and making my families Halloween costumes, its quite surprising to me. I'm surprised that  these skills I learned and sometimes hating as a kid to do are getting put to good use and I enjoy them.

  I'm grateful I can follow a recipe and make dinner. I'm grateful I can add a button or sew up my husbands pants or shirts instead of running out to get another. I'm grateful I can clean and keep my house tidy and organized. These skills appear more and more as I get more confident as a mom and running my household. I truly surprise myself when my "hidden homemaker" comes out. These are just things/skills that come with being a stay at home mom.  I never would of thought I would of need ed those skills that I was taught but I use them daily.



 A couple of costumes I did. I sewed all that stuff on both captain america and Thor. Its not perfect but I was very proud of them!

 Some of the crafts I did for my son't fire truck themed nursery. I hung them on the walls as seen above.


  These skills keep me sane, help our family save money and also gives me an importance and roll in our family. I know my husband is grateful I can do all these things. He saw these skills  in me when we were dating and says all the time that's one of the reasons I married you! I think its just kind of interesting to look back, even just when I first got married to see the growth and how the skills were inside have come out. I guess I was always a hidden homemaker and just didn't realize it!

No comments:

Post a Comment