Thursday, October 23, 2014

Great Pumpkin Tradition

I love tradition! (Imagine me saying "tradition" with gusto like on Fiddler on the Roof.) 

My favorite childhood memories are based on fun family traditions that I adored. I want to create warm memories for my children, and for me. I want to remember them when they are little. I want to have a picture for every year we do these traditions. I missed out last year because I was sick with Hyperemesis. (See my "Thank you, Kate Middleton" post!

One tradition I have always wanted to do is a Great Pumpkin party. I am a big Charlie Brown fan. I do not like scary, blood and gore, give-you-nightmares kind of Halloween. 

We started out with our dinner. Bowls of our quick Autumn Chili (See my Autumn Chili Recipe post!

When it comes to snacks I like EASY! 

Apple slices (no caramel), white donuts (they were supposed to be ghosts but I forgot chocolate chips!) and we made simple witches brooms with mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and pretzel sticks.

And then Drew's favorite: spider cookies. 

He was a pro at putting in the pretzel legs. This was his favorite stack to both make and eat! It's just Oreos, stick pretzels snapped in half, and candy eyes (From Walmart in the cake decorating isle!). I meant to use frosting to put the eyes on but I used peanut butter instead, 

Then I turned on It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and we started our craft. 

Paper plate ghosts! Super easy! 


I pre-cut the circles out of black paper the night before and made strips of white paper for the bottoms. I wasn't sure how much Drew would be into it since he is still little. He actually enjoyed helping! 


I let him take the lead with it. I helped him glue as many dots on as he wanted. It ended up looking a lot like Charlie Brown's ghost costume! 
I used string and some tape on the back so I could hang it up.
He must have liked it because he carried it around for the next hour! 


Nothing too fancy, but still fun enough that Drew knew it was fun and special. I didn't stay up or slave away over it. Drew went to bed all smiles, and I did too. 











No comments:

Post a Comment