Thursday, March 12, 2015

A difficult decision


Megan here... So this past month my family was faced with a challenging and devastating decision.  Now before I start my story I want you to ask yourself a few questions.  What role do your pets have in your home?  What are the signs to look for when there is danger? What would you do if you were put in a situation to have to choose between a pet and your child's safety? And what is humane for your aging pets?

Our story.  This is Ringo she was Jeff's  (my husband) dog when we got married. As Jeff puts it she was his ally, his companion and best friend. In the beginning Ringo was an amazing dog.  She was loving and very attentive to my husband.  She would do anything to get a little lap time with him. Me on the other hand, well let's just say we had an understanding.  She would love on me occasionally but she would melt my heart when she looked at me with her very distinct puppy eyes. 



When my first son Ty was born Ringo would tolerate him and on occasion play with him.   She was great with my little dog Ellie.  Never showing any aggression towards her or Ty but something changed. I am not sure what but she began to ignore me.  If I tried to put her outside or do something she didn't want to do.  She would growl and show teeth but never snip or bite. 

We moved two times between all this and finally settled in our home we built and were staying long term. We had another little boy and things were in survival mode for a short time.  This is when Ringo really started to get aggressive.  As I said before she was never aggressive to my sons or Jeff. So we just kept Ty calm and for the most part gentle (as gentle as a two year old could get) when playing with her. We settled into a new normal and Ringo calmed for the most part.  Well,  one morning I sent Ty out to the living room to get ready for breakfast.  I hear Ringo's growl, her distinct snipping sound and Ty crying.  My heart sinks.  I go running into the living room where I find Ringo on the couch and Ty on the floor.  Ty is on his back with blood gushing from his eyebrow, numerous cuts and scratches on his cheek and forehead. 

We were suddenly forced to make a decision, either get rid her or Ty. We all know the answer to that question.  Ringo was now unsafe to have around our children.  What do we do? How do we handle this?  Is it her time? She is aging and losing patience for our boys.  With our youngest only being an infant our home was only going to get more chaotic.  I had been losing control of her for awhile and Jeff was at work during the day.  

We decided to find a better suited home for her.  However,  that was most difficult then we expected. We made it very clear that she would not be given to anyone with children because she was becoming less tolerant and she had bitten Ty.  We had a few people interested but mostly people wanting her right there right now and we were not comfortable with that.  We tried numerous shelter and adoption agencies that would help us find her a home but we got nothing. After numerous failed attempts to get her adopted we decided that the humane society was our only option.  

This is where our story ends.  We don't know what happened to our beloved dog.  Jeff's companion and best friend. We would like to think she was adopted and enjoying life but with her history was that even possible? They told us that she would be tested and depending on the results they would make that decision.  

So I ask you to ask yourself what would you do? Animals are part of your family and all of a sudden you have to change what you know and love.
 
 


Remember, if you want to read more about 7 very different women and their children.  Be sure to like us on our Facebook page to the right of our blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment