Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Cookie bug

The cookie bug has hit our house!
After a long crazy 3 weeks we have been looking for distractions besides the usual work and play. The other day I was on facebook and my daughter saw a video of someone decorating a sugar cookie and that's where it all began. She has been watching cookie decorating videos on Youtube for days! 
I'm  not gonna lie I am not a big sugar cookie fan. At least not with all the frosting and candy on them. I prefer them plain actually.
But she was showing interest and it was a nice distraction from all the diabetes talk haha so we decided to try us some sugar cookies!
(Yes kids with Type 1 Diabetes can have cookies they just have to have insulin to balance out the carbs)

I wanted to try the cute ones I have been seeing latley with royal icing and details in the decorating. It works out because I know my Melodee won't eat the frosted cookies or maybe any cookies, she is just into making them so I can decorate them how ever I want.

I tried one recipe and it wasn't my favorite so I got back to basics (at my hubbys request) and got my moms sugar cookie recipe.
We always make sugar cookies on Valentines or the day or 2 before. We do it every year even if they don't get eaten. It was actually one of the first things we did with Melodee after she was released from the hospital.
My mom makes these big fluffy sugar cookies they are so wonderful. I love sitting down with one and a can of icing and just dipping them (that is mommy time after the kids go to bed)

So I am going to share this recipe so you can all know how wonderful they are! I was in a bit of a hurry so I didn't get step by step pictures of it all so I'll get some this weekend.

Mom's Sugar Cookies
1 C shortening 
1 1/4 C white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt 
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 C milk
5 C flour

Preheat oven to 375
Cream eggs, shortning and sugar. Add baking soda and powder, salt and vanilla.
Alternate milk and flour.
Mix until combined.
Chill (optional) and roll out.
The nice things about this recipe is you really don't need to chill it if you don't have time.
The dough is going to seam soft but don't add more flour just make sure you have flour down when you roll it out.
I don't go much thinner than 1/4 inch. I like mine thick like mom does them :)
Bake 8-10 minutes until golden on the bottom.
I noticed that if the sides start to brown it's been to long they are a little on the harder side. So watch your first batch and you'll get the idea of what you want to the rest of the cookies.

Frost with your favorite frosting, or none and all and enjoy!
I am going to decorate some this weekend and I'll post pictures Monday.
Thanks for reading!
Remember if you like what you see be sure to like our Facebook page on the right hand side of our blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment